Kurt has dedicated his career to representing municipalities and other units of local government.
Kurt has represented local governments for his entire legal career. Through his experience, Kurt has come to understand the dynamics of how public entities operate and the legal issues that they face. He advises municipalities and other local governments on a broad array of legal topics, including compliance with the Open Meetings Act and the Freedom of Information Act, employment matters, competitive procurement requirements, and general transactional matters. Kurt has represented municipalities, park districts, school districts, townships, public libraries, and community college districts over his career.
Kurt also concentrates on land use and zoning matters and regularly attends plan commission and zoning board hearings on behalf of municipalities. He advises municipalities on economic development strategies, annexation and development agreements, real estate transactions, and tax increment financing. He also represents private entities in zoning and land use matters.
In addition to his corporate practice, Kurt has considerable litigation experience representing governmental entities at both the trial and appellate level. He has successfully defended municipalities in numerous zoning and land use disputes. Kurt also represents local governments in suits involving constitutional violations, breach of contract claims, election challenges, and employment disputes.
Kurt graduated from The George Washington University in Washington, D.C., and earned his law degree from Chicago-Kent College of Law. While in law school, Kurt received Dean’s List Honors, and was awarded the CALI Award of Excellence for earning the highest grade in Commercial Law.
- Successfully defended a village from a lawsuit challenging the sale and development of municipal property for a downtown mixed-used commercial and residential development. Station Place Townhouse Condo. Ass’n v. Village of Glenview, 2022 IL App (1st) 211131.
- Successfully defended a city from a lawsuit disputing ownership and maintenance obligations for a subdivision drainage system. Reich v. City of Lake Forest, 2022 IL App (2d) 210515-U.
- Assisted municipalities in developing creative economic incentive programs in response to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Drafted municipal zoning regulations to respond to the legalization of recreational cannabis.
- Successfully defended a village’s zoning restriction on the size and location of highway billboards. WC Media, Inc., v. Village of Gilberts, 2020 IL App (2d) 190250.
- Resolved numerous FOIA and Open Meeting Act challenges filed with the Illinois Public Access Counselor on behalf of local governments.
- Successfully defended a city from a class action lawsuit alleging that the city’s reduction in health care contributions to retirees violated the pension protection clause of the Illinois Constitution. Dawson, et al, v. City of Geneseo, 2018 IL App (3d) 170665.
- Successfully defended a township in a challenge to the validity of its tax levy ordinance under the Truth in Taxation Law. Mandigo v. Stolman, 2019 IL App (2d) 180466.
- Assisted a solar energy company in obtaining a special use permit for a large solar farm
- Successfully obtained a special use permit for a medical cannabis dispensary from the Chicago Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Drafted and negotiated a wide variety of contracts and intergovernmental agreements on behalf of local governments, including annexation agreements and economic incentive agreements.
- IICLE 7th Annual Local Government Law Institute, “Standing on the Precipice of Legalization: The State of Local Authority under the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act” (2019).
- 2022 APA-IL State Conference, “From Town of Gilbert to City of Austin – The Changing Law on Sign Regulations.”
- 2019 APA-IL State Conference, “Common Zoning Questions Answered” and “Quorum Forum Podcast Live, Cannabis Q&A.”
- Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference, “Sports Betting and Gaming: Latest from the Legislature” (2019).
- Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference, “Using Your Powers for Good: Tips for Uniting your Board” (2018).
- American Planning Association, “Rules of the Game: A Framework for Fair & Effective Zoning Hearings” (2018).
- Municipal Clerks of Illinois Institute, “New Laws, Conflicts, and Trends to Watch” (2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022).
- Co-Author of “Home Rule” in the IICLE Municipal Law Series Handbook (Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2020).
- Frequent contributor to Ancel Glink’s local government blog, Municipal Minute, and the Ancel Glink land use e-bulletin In the Zone.