Derke represents municipalities, park districts, school districts, townships, libraries & special agencies. His practice includes appeals and trial work in both federal and state courts and concentrates in construction, land use and development, and environmental matters.
Derke serves as corporate counsel for the Villages of South Elgin, Millington, the City of Monticello and the City of Geneseo. He is also special counsel to numerous other municipalities including the Cities of Charleston and Mattoon. He is corporate counsel to the Park Districts of Naperville, Batavia, Black Hawk, Bloomingdale, Downers Grove, Oswegoland, Geneseo, Glen Ellyn, Kenilworth, Sugar Grove, and Sycamore as well as special counsel to the firm’s numerous other park districts. He is corporate counsel for the Northwest Suburban Municipal Joint Action Water Agency, and the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County. He has done specialty pollution control facility work for Winnebago and Grundy Counties, the Village of Carol Stream, and the Cities of West Chicago and Yorkville. He is also the attorney for Dundee Township and counsel to select private entity clients including Vulcan Construction Materials, Kluber Engineering & Architecture, and Citgo Petroleum.
- Created a public-private partnership to reclaim and plan uses of 100 year old quarry, including pioneering land-use regulations on reclamation, master plan for properties, and coordination of property transfers and use
- Successful application on behalf of private client for rezoning of 230 acres of property to an industrial use with 60 year land use plan
- Negotiate and draft energy savings contracts for multi-million dollar overhaul of park district facilities
Derke frequently speaks at local government conferences on land use and construction law issues, including speaking each year at the Illinois Municipal League Conference and the Annual IAPD/IPRA Conference for Park Districts.
- "An Outline Visionary Coverage for Pools - Where Others Fear to Tread," presented to the Public Risk Management Association
- Lorman Education Seminars
- Law of Easements: Legal Issues and Practical Considerations, 2004, 2005, and 2007
- Eminent Domain in Illinois, 2006 and 2007
- Real Estate Development From Beginning to End In Illinois, 2007 and 2008
- Plat and Subdivision Law in Illinois, 2007, 2008, and 2009
Derke has contributed materials to numerous publications for municipal officials, planning and zoning authorities, counties, park district officials, townships and s/place>/place> place="">/>/place> place="">/> place="">/>>/>/place> place="">/> place="">/>>/> place="">/>>/>>/>>/>chool districts/place> place="">/> place="">/>>/> place="">/>>/>>/>>/> place="">/>>/>>/>>/>>/>>/>>/>>/> on land use and construction issues. He is an author for both the Municipal Law Treatise and the School Law Treatise published by the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education. He is also an author for a number of Ancel Glink handbooks relating to municipal, park district, and township matters.
Honors & Awards
- Designated, by his peers, as a Leading Lawyer in the areas of Governmental, Municipal, Lobbying & Administrative Law, Land Use, Zoning & Condemnation Law.