For the past 26 years, Ted has developed significant expertise in the defense and litigation of workers' compensation matters, including extensive experience in Appellate law, insurance coverage law, subrogation and indemnification litigation and Medicare issues. Ted has also made presentations to various organizations over the years on topical workers' compensation issues.
Ted currently resides in Chicago, Illinois. He grew up on Quincy, Illinois, where he was a championship swimmer and participated in 10-mile marathon swims on the Mississippi River.
Prior to making law his profession, Ted also worked in the medical field with approximately 10 years of hospital and patient care experience.
At his prior law firm (Rusin, Maciorowski & Friedman, Ltd.), Ted was initially employed as a paralegal and earned his law degree at night while working full time. After obtaining his Juris Doctorate, Ted initially worked as an associate attorney; he was later promoted to firm partner and functioned in this capacity at the firm for over 15 years.
Since joining Ancel Glink, Ted not only handles the defense of workers' compensation matters from the inception through litigation and appeal to the Appellate Court (if necessary), he also interfaces with our civil department on ancillary workers' compensation issues, including Section 5 lien issues and exclusivity issues, case mediations regarding combined 3rd party and workers' compensation issues, and Medicare/MSA issues.
- Venture-Newberg Perini Stone and Webster v. Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission, 2012 Ill.App. (4th) 110847 WC; 981 N.E.2nd 1091; cert. granted; rev’d, 2013 Il 115728, unofficial cite not available, (2014) (Traveling Employee - Appellate and Supreme Court)
- Durand v. Industrial Commission, 234 Ill.2d 53, 862 N.E.2nd 918 (2006) (Repetitive Trauma/Manifestation Date - Supreme Court)
- Employers Mutual Companies v. Skilling, 163 Ill.2d 284, 644 N.E.2d 1163 (1994) (Insurance Coverage/Jurisdiction - Supreme Court)
- Hastings Mutual Insurance Company v. Ultimate Backyard, LLC, et al., 2012 IL App (1st) 10151, 965 N.E.2d 656 (2012) (Insurance Coverage/Jurisdiction - Appellate Court)
- Village of Villa Park v. Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission, 2013 IL App (2d) 130038 WC, unofficial cite not available, (2014); reh’g & cert. denied. (Idiopathic Fall - Appellate Court)
- Siddens v. Industrial Commission, 304 Ill. App. 3d 506, 711 N.E.2d 18 (1999) Jurisdiction – Appellate Court)
- Limanowski v. Ashland Oil Company, 275 Ill.App.3d 115, 655 N.E.2d 1049 (1995) (Intentional Tort Work Injury - Appellate Court)
- Absolute Cleaning/SYMBL v. Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission, 409 Ill.App.3d 463, 949 N.E.2d 1158 (2011) (Exceeding Physician Choice - Appellate Court)
- Funes v. B&B Equipment, Inc., 282 Ill.App.3d 272, 668 N.E.2d 54 (1996) (Third Party Liability and Contribution Issues – Appellate Court)
Honors & Awards
- AV Distinguished Attorney Rating, Martindale – Hubbell