David effectively and efficiently navigates the political, practical, and legal aspects of the zoning and entitlement process for the firm’s public and private sector clients.
David has a thorough understanding of the zoning and entitlements process. His prior career as a professional planner informs his practice as an attorney, giving him an unprecedented understanding of the dynamics that influence the zoning and entitlement process. His multi-faceted professional background also provides public and private sector clients with advisory services that extend beyond legal representation to help them achieve their goals and objectives.
David is co-chair of Ancel Glink’s Zoning and Land Use Group and co-editor of the group’s e-newsletter, In the Zone. David also serves as moderator for the Zoning and Land Use Group’s Twitter site, @AncelGlinkLand.
David is involved with several organizations that promote better land use and development practices. David serves on the Executive Board of the Illinois Chapter of the American Planning Association as its Legislative Committee chair and serves as the Education and Outreach Chair for the Planning and Law Division of the American Planning Association. In addition, David is also a member of the Ely Chapter (Chicago) of Lambda Alpha International, Urban Land Institute, and is a member of the American Institute of Certified Planners.
In addition to his involvement with various land use and development organizations, David also teaches the Land Use Control and Zoning class (RE604/JD604) at the UIC John Marshall Law School.
- Advising boards of trustees on a wide range of legal and policy matters
- Advising plan commissions and zoning boards on zoning and planning matters
- Preparing numerous zoning, subdivision and unified development ordinances, including creating innovative zoning regulations designed to implement and accomplish specific and unique land use goals
- Negotiating and structuring complex annexations and real estate transactions
- Negotiating and preparing various intergovernmental agreements
- Establishing tax increment financing districts, special service areas, and business development and redevelopment districts
- Representing private and public sector clients in front of the Illinois Commerce Commission and Illinois Liquor Control Commission
- Legal trends in land use law and innovative land use regulation techniques and practices
- Climate change and environmental conservation
- Economic development and tax increment financing (TIF)
- Social networking
- “Drafting Defensible Regulations,” Planning (APA, December 2016)
- “It’s Time to Rethink Temporary Use,” Planning (APA, July 2016)
- "Land Use Law: Zoning in the 21st Century" (Law Journal Press, 2015)
- "Urban Agriculture: Policy, Law Strategy, and Implementation" (ABA Press, 2015)
- “The Temporary Use and Economic Development” (Planning & Environmental Law, July 2014)
- "Rules of the Game: A Framework for Fair and Effective Zoning Hearings," The Commissioner (APA 2013)
- “Green Transportation: ‘Roadblocks’ and ‘Avenues’ for Promoting Low-Impact Transportation Choices,” Legal Strategies for Greening Local Government (ABA Press, 2012)
- “Illinois’ Tax Increment Allocation Redevelopment Act and Case Study,” Tax Increment Financing (ABA Press, 2012)
- “Annexation and Annexation Agreements,” IICLE Municipal Law Series Handbook (2012)
- “Subdivisions, Subdivision Controls, and Drainage,” IICLE Municipal Law Series Handbook (2012)
- “Annexation, Disconnection, Consolidation and Dissolution of a Park District,” Illinois Park District Law Handbook (Illinois Association of Park Districts, 6th Edition, 2010)
- Policy Guide on Planning and Climate Change (American Planning Association Policy Guide, 2008)
- Zoning Administration Handbook, Ancel Glink Library
- “The Zoning Game in Ten Easy Lessons”, 10 Things You Need to Know About 14 Local Governmental Issues, Ancel Glink Library