Tom leads a highly skilled and successful litigation team.
Tom concentrates his practice chiefly on civil rights, tort and business litigation, the representation of governmental self-insurance pools, and municipal law. He has been lead trial counsel in many successful cases in federal and state courts involving claims under 42 U.S.C. §1983, Title VII and Title IX, the Federal Wiretap Act, state law defamation, wrongful death, general tort claims, and business disputes, and also serves as a mediator for the Northern District of Illinois, Western Division, panel mediation program.
Tom has written and lectured extensively on various aspects of governmental liability, litigation, and trial practice. He has written the Municipal Law Column for the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel quarterly. He has served as the Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Federal Practice Committee and Vice-Chair of the Defense Research Institute’s (DRI) Governmental Liability Committee. He has also been admitted by invitation to the American Board of Trial Advocates.
- Defended case resulting in a de minimis verdict for plaintiff before federal jury on claims of false arrest and excessive force under §1983. Knaack v. Holem, et al.
- Defended wrongful death claim. Hamilton v. City of Chicago, et al.
- Pevailed before federal jury in case involving claim of political retaliation. Crudup v. Barton, et al.
- Obtained defense verdict in federal jury trial involving claim of wrongful prosecution. Treece v. City of Naperville
- Prevailed before federal jury and on appeal in class action claim for alleged violations of the Wiretap Act. Amati v. City of Woodstock
- Obtained defense verdict after federal jury trial on claim of wrongful pursuit. Williams v. Village of Lansing
- Succeeded in Seventh Circuit appeal on claim for supplemental fees and fees for pursuing punitive damages. Robinson v. City of Harvey
- Obtained defense verdict after state court jury trial in personal injury case involving plaintiff's fall on city property. Podraza v. City of Woodstock
Successfully defended defamation suit before state court jury. Rossi v. Village of Huntley
- The DuPage County and Chicago Bar Associations
- The Illinois Municipal League
- The International Association of School Business Officials
- The Public Risk Management Agency, and other groups
- "Crash Course in Federal Land Use Law," DRI Journal For the Defense (Nov. 2001)
- "Governmental Tort Immunity," Municipal Law and Practice Handbook (Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2000)
- Authored the Municipal Law Column for the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel Quarterly.
- Authored DRI course book chapters on Rule 68 Offers of Judgment in federal cases, defending punitive damages, and the use of expert witnesses in civil rights litigation.
Honors & Awards
- Admitted to the American Board of Trial Advocates
- Designated a “Super Lawyer” by Chicago Magazine
- Designated a "Leading Lawyer" by Crains Chicago Business