Steve works in our Bloomington office, serving as corporation counsel for several downstate municipalities and townships, advising clients on a wide variety of local government issues.
Steven D. Mahrt has represented local governmental entities for over 35 years in all aspects of municipal law, including governmental practices and procedures, zoning, labor and employment law issues, and representation of municipal boards and commissions.
For more than 30 years, he served as Corporation Counsel for the Town of Normal. In this role, he provided legal services to elected and appointed officials concerning all aspects of municipal law. Steve was involved in implementation of the Town of Normal Uptown Renewal project and the creation of multiple mixed use tax increment financing districts. Steve also provided legal support for the local bus company and the Central Illinois Regional Broadband Network. Steve serves as the Administrative Adjudication Hearing Officer for a number of municipalities.
Steve is active in the Illinois Municipal League’s Home Rule Committee, having served as Chair of the Committee. He is on the Board of Directors of the Illinois Local Government Lawyer’s Association and he served as President of the association. He is also a member of the International Municipal Lawyer’s Association, the American Bar Association, the Illinois State Bar Association and the McLean County Bar Association.
Steve is a member of the Firm’s labor and employment law committee and contributes to the AG blog Labor and Employment Update. Steve has presented at the Illinois Municipal League and Illinois Tax Increment Association on prevailing wages and is a regular contributor to the Illinois Local Government Lawyer’s Association Journal.
He lives in Normal, Illinois with his wife, Vickie.
- Successfully defended a municipality in a lawsuit concerning procurement procedures for a public project.
- Litigated Hafner v. Town of Normal, which held that the prevailing wage act does not apply to private developments receiving assistance in the form of tax increment.
- Negotiated numerous Collective Bargaining Agreements with organized Police and Fire units.
- Drafted ordinances covering a broad range of subjects including, mass gatherings, telecommunication facilities, backyard chickens, cushy couches, and administrative adjudication
- Drafted Development and Annexation Agreements concerning residential and commercial projects.
- Steve has presented at the Illinois Municipal League and the Illinois Tax Increment Association concerning prevailing wages and public projects.
- Steve has presented at the Illinois Local Government Lawyer’s Association concerning administrative adjudication.
- Steve is a regular contributor to the Illinois Local Government Lawyer’s Association Journal.
- Steve co-authored the IICLE Illinois Municipal Law Chapter on Home Rule.