Scott represents a variety of governmental bodies, including cities and villages, park districts, fire districts, townships and school districts.
Scott also appears before local governments as the attorney for the petitioner in various zoning matters.
Scott has represented municipalities in litigation in both the federal and state courts. He has defended municipalities in tort, civil rights, annexation, zoning and contract litigation. He has also represented municipalities as plaintiffs in contract, zoning and real estate matters. He continues to supervise municipal prosecution for traffic, DUI and ordinance violation cases for cities and villages.
Scott is an adjunct law professor at the John Marshall Law School in Chicago where he teaches Land Use Control and Zoning in the LLM Real Estate Law Program to attorneys and law students.
Currently, Scott serves as the Village Attorney for Round Lake Beach, Spring Grove, and Kirkland and as counsel to the City of Zion. He also serves as the attorney for the Crystal Lake Park District, Lake Bluff Park District, Foss Park District, Nunda Township, and Hebron Township.
- Assisted a village with new zoning regulations to classify a large scale planned unit development with appropriate regulations and negotiated a planned unit development agreement with the developer
- Successfully represented a municipality in a case against an intergovernmental agency which was formed without proper legislative authority
- Worked with a municipality on the comprehensive re-drafting of its zoning regulations to address changing land uses in the village and to accomplish the evolving goals of the village board
- Represented a village in annexing and zoning property for agritourism, including negotiating a variety of future uses for the development of the property
- Negotiated an annexation agreement with property owners for gravel mining and then the subsequent redevelopment of the property for residential and commercial uses
- Presented two sessions at the National Business Institute on Ethics and Public Rights and Issues relating to local governments
- Presented at the Lake County Bar Association's Newly Elected Officials Seminar on the Gift Ban Act
- Presented at the Illinois Park and Recreation Association on construction issues
- Provides training on legal issues at police training seminars
- Presented at the Illinois Association of Park Districts annual conference on Intergovernmental Cooperation