Lucy defends public and private entities in civil rights, tort and employment litigation.
Her litigation practice involves a wide variety of legal issues, including civil rights, personal injury, wrongful death, employment decisions, sexual abuse and education issues, as well as claims under 42 U.S.C. §1983, Title VII and Title IX. Her clients include municipalities, school districts, park districts, and private entities.
Lucy is skilled in litigating complex cases from initial investigation to final disposition on the trial and appellate levels, and has argued successfully in the appellate courts. She has substantial jury trial experience in both state and federal court. Lucy is also admitted to practice in the District of Columbia.
She is the co-editor of the litigation group’s online newsletter, Ancel Glink Defense E-News, which advises clients on critical court decisions and legislative changes in Illinois. Lucy frequently writes and speaks on litigation issues affecting her clients, including tort immunity, First Amendment rights, and school law issues.
- Prevailed on appeal before the Seventh Circuit in a wrongful conviction case in a federal lawsuit alleging the investigating police officers conspired to withhold materially exculpatory evidence. Beaman v. Souk
- Successfully defended a village and its police officer before a federal jury in a Section 1983 excessive force case involving a police shooting. Berryhill v. Village of Streamwood
- Successfully defended a school district before a federal jury in a Title IX discrimination lawsuit involving sexual abuse by a school dean. Doe v. Smith and Champaign School District
- Successfully defended a city and seven of its police officers before a federal jury in a Section 1983 excessive force claim. Adams v. City of Des Plaines
- Successfully defended a village and its director of human and health services before a state jury involving an alleged violation of the Illinois Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Confidentiality Act. Murphy v. City of Des Plaines
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a school district in a federal lawsuit alleging a disability discrimination claim under the ADA. Crawford v. Wilmette Public School District 39
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a city involving a federal municipal policy claim following the alleged sexual assault of the plaintiff. Swinney v. City of Waukegan
- Prevailed on appeal before the Seventh Circuit in an employment discrimination claim brought by an independent contractor alleging race discrimination. Nash v. Dolton Riverdale School District 148
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a City and its police officer in a state lawsuit alleging the police officer negligently struck the plaintiff while responding to an emergency call. Burts v. Streamwood
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of two police officers involving a federal conspiracy claim following the arrest of the plaintiff. Maniscalco v. Simon
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a school district in a state personal injury claim following a student’s injury on a school playground. Shelley v. Sterling Community Unit School District 5
- Prevailed on summary judgment in favor of a city and police chief on claim brought by a former police officer alleging his termination violated the First Amendment. Lalowski v. City of Des Plaines
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a school district in a state personal injury claim following a cafeteria worker’s injury in the school’s lunch room. Jellerson v. Skokie School District 68
- Obtained the dismissal of a wrongful death complaint against a city after the decedent was struck by a train. Walczak v. City of Des Plaines
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a village in a state personal injury claim involving a home owners’ injury caused by a raised water valve. Chargo v. Village of Gurnee
- "Tort Immunity Tips for Reducing Liability Exposure" and "What Commissioners Need to Know About Employment Litigation," presented at the 2016 IAPD/IPRA Soaring to New Heights conference
- “Hot Topics In Employment Litigation: Ways to Reduce Your Exposure,” presented at the 2015 IAPD/IPRA Soaring to New Heights conference
- "Hot Topics in Your Civil Practice: Governmental Liability," presented at the ISBA Continuing Legal Education Seminar
- "Free Speech in School: How Free Is It?," presented at the Illinois Association of School Boards Joint Annual Conference
- "School Bullying: A Legal Primer," presented at the National Business Institute Seminar
- Co-editor of Ancel Glink Defense E-News
- Co-author of the Municipal Law Column for the IDC Quarterly, published by the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, including columns:
- Interaction of the Tort Immunity and Domestic Violence Acts
- Firefighter Training Exercises under the Public Safety Employees Benefits Act
- Illinois Student Records: To Keep or Not to Keep
- Co-authored the article, “Defending Sexual Harassment, Abuse and Molestation Claims,” published in the Defense Research Institute’s For the Defense Journal
- Contributing author to the 2011 Survey of Municipal Law Cases, published by the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Contributing author to the Tort Immunity Handbook, Ancel Glink Library
- Contributing author to Preventing Workplace Sexual Harassment, a Guide for Public Employees
- Contributing author to Police and Fire Department and Tort Immunity Chapters in IICLE Municipal Law and Practice Handbook
Honors & Awards
- Lucy Bednarek received the Trial Lawyer Excellence award on October 21, 2015 from the Law Bulletin Jury Verdict Reporter for Outstanding Defense Verdict in a Civil Rights case she tried in federal court in Chicago with Ellen Emery. The award was for the defense verdict against a 13 million dollar demand in the Altman v. Gurnee case.