Kurt's practice focuses on representing units of local government and zoning and land use matters.
Kurt has represented local governments for his entire legal career. Through his experience, Kurt has come to understand the dynamics of how public entities operate and the legal issues that they face. He advises local governments on a broad array of legal topics, including compliance with the Open Meetings Act and the Freedom of Information Act, employment matters, competitive procurement requirements, and other general transactional matters. Kurt has represented municipalities, townships, park districts, school districts, public libraries, and community college districts.
Kurt also concentrates on land use and zoning matters and regularly attends plan commission and zoning board hearings. He advises municipalities on annexation and development agreements, real estate transactions, economic incentive agreements and tax increment financing. Kurt works with municipalities and land banks on innovative strategies to redevelop vacant and blighted properties. He also represents private entities in zoning and land use matters.
In addition to his corporate practice, Kurt has considerable litigation experience representing government entities, not-for-profits, and religious institutions in cases involving declaratory judgment, constitutional violations, breach of contract, land use and zoning disputes, construction defects, and school liability, among others. He also represents public bodies and candidates in election law litigation.
Kurt graduated from The George Washington University in Washington, D.C., and earned his law degree from Chicago-Kent College of Law. While in law school, Kurt received Dean’s List Honors, and was awarded the CALI Award of Excellence for earning the highest grade in Commercial Law.
- Attended public board meetings as corporate counsel for various units of local governments.
- Represented municipal zoning boards of appeal and plan commissions at meetings and public hearings.
- Assisted a solar energy company in obtaining a special use permit for a large solar farm.
- Successfully obtained a special use permit for a medical cannabis dispensary from the Chicago Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Assisted in obtaining a height variance for the installation of football stadium lighting at a suburban high school.
- Drafted and negotiated a wide variety of contracts and intergovernmental agreements on behalf of local governments, including annexation agreements and economic incentive agreements.
- Successfully defended a municipality from a class action lawsuit alleging violations of the Pension Protection Clause of the Illinois Constitution.
- Frequent contributor to Ancel Glink’s local government blog, Municipal Minute, and the Ancel Glink land use e-bulletin In the Zone.
- Illinois Association of Park Districts/Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference, “Not in My Park! Regulating Controversial Park Activities” (2018).
- Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference, “Total Request Live: Night Meeting Edition” and “What Every Clerk Needs to Know about Employment Issues” (2017).
- American Planning Association, Illinois Chapter State Conference, “Ghostlawyers: Haunted Planning Law Session” and “Fast, Funny, Passionate: Tiny Homes” (2017).
- Municipal Clerks of Illinois Institute, “New Laws, Conflicts, and Trends to Watch” (2017).