Jim joined Ancel Glink in 2009 after a thirty year career in public sector administration and finance.
From 2002 through 2007, Jim served as Vice President for Administrative Affairs at the College of Lake County in Grayslake, Illinois, and as the college's Interim President from 2007 through 2009. Prior to his experience in higher education, Jim worked in Illinois Park Districts for twenty three years, including seven years as Executive Director of the Round Lake Area Park District. He was involved extensively in capital development and financing, grant procurement, land acquisition, and negotiation of developer donation agreements. Additionally, he coordinated a number of intergovernmental partnerships, including the joint construction of a facility with a local school district. He was actively involved in several committees for the Illinois Park and Recreation Association.
Jim serves as Village Attorney for the Village of Hainesville, and as corporate attorney for the Morton Grove Park District, the Grandwood Park Park District, and the Palatine Rural Fire Protection District. He advises a wide range of local government clients on contracts, policies, personnel matters, and day-to-day legal issues.
- Drafted arbitration brief in teacher disciplinary case which resulted in a ruling that the disciplinary action taken by the school district was not arbitrable
- Negotiated municipal intergovernmental agreement resulting in reimbursement of 911 surcharge fees
- Negotiated multiple easements for municipality seeking to extend its water supply system
- Performed review and revision of several local government employee manuals and general use ordinances
- "Intergovernmental Cooperation," Good Governance Workshops co-sponsored by the Illinois Municipal League, Illinois Association of Park Districts, and Illinois Community College Trustees Association, (June, 2012)
- "Six Things You Should Know About School Law in 2012", IICLE Teleseminar, (November, 2011)
- "Commissioners Boot Camp: Open Meetings Act and Freedom of Information Act" Illinois Association of Park Districts (June, 2011)
- "What Do You Mean I've Got Five Days? Handling the Non-Routine Freedom of Information Request" Illinois Association of Fire Protection Districts (June, 2011)
- "How to Make Your Financial Processes Maximize Your Money" Illinois Association of Park Districts (January, 2011)
- “Eight Things You Can Do to Make Sure Your Outdoor Aquatic Facility Will Be Ready for Opening Day," IPARKS Quarterly Newsletter (2012)
- "Officers and Employees: Pensions", Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) Municipal Law Series Vol. 1, (2011)
- "No Child Left Behind Act," IICLE School Law Vol. 2 (2012)
- "Community Colleges," IICLE School Law Vol. 1, (2012)
- "Educational Technology," IICLE School Law Vol. 1, (2012)