Gregory W. Jones
Greg has dedicated his career to revitalizing communities and driving positive economic growth.
His land use and zoning advice has helped dozens of municipalities realize their economic development goals. Greg advises communities in a wide variety of transactional matters, including intergovernmental agreements, tax increment financing, development and annexation agreements, zoning code overhauls, and complex real estate deals. Greg also advocates for clients during negotiations with various local, state and federal agencies on a variety of land use matters, and has successfully defended public officials both in and out of the courtroom.
Greg’s prior experience as a city planner, project manager, and zoning administrator for several communities allows him to work efficiently and effectively with those who make – or break – economic development efforts. His active membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners, the American Planning Association’s Legislative Committee, and the American Planning Associations’ Public Official Training Faculty helps him understand how communities and developers can use modern best practices to make their plan a reality.
Greg earned his B.A. in Urban Planning from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and studied town and country planning at the University of Sheffield in the United Kingdom. Greg graduated magna cum laude from Chicago-Kent College of Law, where he served as an editor for the law review and was elected into the Order of the Coif.
- Advised city councils, plan commissions and a host of other elected and appointed boards and commissions.
- Negotiated complex, multi-million dollar redevelopment agreements on behalf of public and private sector clients.
- Spearheaded public participation and outreach campaigns to create new zoning districts that reflect the residents’ vision for their community.
- Battling Billboard Bullies: Strategies for Controlling Outdoor Advertising (Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference 2018)
- Excellent Planning Law Adventure! (American Planning Association Annual Illinois Conference 2018)
- The First Amendment and Social Media (Illinois Association of Park Districts Annual Conference 2018)
- Quorum Forum Podcast (various episodes)
- Lawyers, Guns, and Money: How to Stay Out of Ethical Jams (Chicago Metro Section, American Planning Association 2017)
- Ghostlawyers: Haunted Planning Law Update (American Planning Association Annual Illinois Conference 2017)
- Citizen Planner Training and Mock Hearing (American Planning Association Annual Illinois Conference 2017)
- The Legal Side of Employee Social Media (Illinois Government Finance Officers Association Annual Conference 2017
- The Sharing Economy and Social Media (North Central Illinois Council of Governments 2017)
- Legal Decision Making for Planning Commissioners (American Planning Association Video Series 2017)
- Park District Use of Social Media (Illinois Association of Park Districts Annual Conference 2017)
- The Real Houselawyers of Planning (American Planning Association Annual Illinois Conference 2016)
- Citizen Planner Training Workshop (Champaign County Regional Planning Commission 2016)
- Bar Exam (American Planning Association Chicago Metro Section 2016)
- Background Checks, and EEOC Guidance, and Credit Reports - - Oh My! (Illinois Association of Park Districts Annual Conference 2016)
- FUN!(with ethics)(American Planning Association State Conference 2016)
- Leveraging Development Agreements Between Municipalities and Private Parties (Strafford Publications, Inc. 2015).
- Freedom Isn't Free: How to Navigate FOIA Without Losing Your Sanity (American Planning Association State Conference 2015)
- Law & Order: Zoning Victims Unit (American Planning Association Annual Illinois Conference 2015)
- 2018 Illinois Municipal Handbook, Illinois Municipal League
- “It’s 10pm, Do You Know Where Your Plan Commissioners Are?” The Commissioner (American Planning Association) (Dec. 2017)
- “Zoning,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) (May 2016)
- "Land Use Law: Zoning in the 21st Century," Law Journal Press (Jan. 2015)
- "Lifeguard on Duty? Safety Basics for Public Swimming Pools," Illinois Parks Association Risk Services (Jun.2015)
- 2014 Illinois Municipal Handbook, Illinois Municipal League
- "Net Gain: Pitfalls to Avoid When Bringing Paddle Tennis to a Community," Parks & Rec. Business (Aug. 2014)
- "Regulating Outdoor Fitness Classes: A Practical Guide for Managing the Fitness Craze," Illinois Parks Association Risk Services (Mar. 2014)
- "Does the Public Zoning Process in Illinois Inhibit Economic Development? Lessons Learned from Navistar's Move to Lisle," DuPage County B. Assoc. Brief (Jan. 2011)
- "Free Speech & Tainted Justice: Restoring the Public's Confidence in the Judiciary in the Republican Party of Minnesota v. White," 85 CHI-Kent L. Rev. 441 (2010)
- Contributor to In The Zone, Ancel Glink's land use e-bulletin
- Co-editor of Ancel Glink Today, the firm’s e-bulletin
Honors & Awards
- Member of Order of the Coif