Erin dedicates her practice to representing public entities in local government law, construction, and workers' compensation matters.
Erin's local government practice includes representation of municipalities, park districts, and libraries. Erin counsels clients on the issues that arise in the day-to-day representation of government bodies, including matters related to board practices and procedures, public construction contracts, competitive procurement requirements, and intergovernmental cooperation. Erin is well-versed in issues arising under the Open Meetings Act, the Freedom of Information Act and the opinions of the Public Access Counselor. Erin also handles workers' compensation and civil litigation matters, including construction and pension cases. Erin has argued before Illinois Circuit and Appellate Courts. She has obtained numerous successful verdicts and negotiated favorable settlements for firm clients.
Erin is a graduate of DePaul University College of Law, where she participated in Phi Alpha Delta and the DePaul University Mentor program. While at DePaul College of Law, Erin gained litigation experience as a clinical student for the Center for Justice in capital cases, and worked in municipal law. She also studied comparative labor and employment law at the University of New York in Prague.
Prior to her legal career, Erin interned at the European Union, where she served on the staff of an Irish member of the European Parliament. During her internship, Erin also studied European Union law and economics at the Leuven Institute for Ireland in Europe.
- Frequently represents municipal and park district clients at meetings of corporate authorities.
- Advises local government officials and employees on a wide variety of government issues including compliance with FOIA, Open Meetings Act, and other laws and regulations.
- Frequently drafts and reviews construction contracts.
- Experience in construction litigation, including representation in court, pre-trials, and mediation.
- Won multiple workers’ compensation cases including permanent total disability claims.
- "Answers to your FOIA Questions: Revealed!," Illinois Library Association, October 12, 2017.
- "What Every Clerk Needs to Know About Employment Issues," Illinois Municipal League Conference, September 23, 2017.
- "FOIA, Open Meetings Act, and Parliamentary Procedures," Northwest Municipal Conference Elected Officials Institute, August 9, 2017.
- "Dealing with Bullying in Your Agency's Programs and Staff" IAPD Conference, January 20, 2017.
- "Ten Tips for Complying with FOIA," Illinois Library Association, October 20, 2016.
- "The Interplay Between Workers' Compensation, PEDA, and PSEBA in Illinois" Illinois Municipal League Attorney's Seminar, April 22, 2016.
- “Exemptions Under the Freedom of Information Act,” IICLE Sunshine Laws Handbook (2016).
- The (un) democratic nature of supermajority voting, ISBA Local Government Law Newsletter (May 2015 Vol. 51 No. 5).
- Erin is a frequent contributor to Ancel Glink’s local government law blog, Municipal Minute.